According to Dorie Greenspan (and confirmed by a French friend of mine), the French all know how to bake yogurt cake. In fact, my friend tells me that because it’s so easy to make, little kids will learn the recipe and bring it to school and birthday parties. The gluten-free version turns out well, as it is dense and similar to pound cakes. The cupcakes even dome nicely on top.
- If you want to halve the recipe, use 2 eggs.
- I turned the batter into cupcakes because I needed something easy to carry around and snack on, but the original recipe gives directions for a loaf cake. Although I haven’t tried making the loaf cake version with gluten-free flour, I doubt that you’d need to change the baking time. I’d start with the recommended 50-60 minutes and add a few minutes if necessary.
Mediterranean Yogurt Cupcakes
Adapted from Everyday Dorie
Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup sugar
- Grated zest of 2 cuties/clementines
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat or nonfat Greek-style yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour OR 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup mild-flavored olive oil
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350ºF. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper cups.
- Put the sugar and zest in a mixing bowl. Use your clean fingers to rub the zest into the sugar until the sugar is aromatic and moist. (This step is fun, almost like playing in a sandbox!)
- Add yogurt, eggs, and vanilla into the zest and sugar. Whisk until mixture is very well blended.
- Whisk in baking powder and salt.
- Add flour(s), whisking less vigorously than before.
- Once there’s no trace of dry ingredients, switch to a flexible spatula and stir in the oil; do that in a few additions. You should have a smooth, shiny batter.
- Divide batter among 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cupcakes are a beautiful pale yellow and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes, then remove cupcakes and cool them to room temperature on the rack.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.