It’s America’s favorite lunch in cookie form! These flourless cookies are very simple to make and have an intense peanut butter flavor. Top them with your favorite jam or jelly.
Flourless Peanut Butter Jelly Cookies
Adapted from AllRecipes
Yield: 12-16 cookies
- 1 cup peanut butter (I used smooth, but I’m sure chunky works just as well)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- Jelly or jam, of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together peanut butter, sugar, and egg until smooth.
- Drop spoonfuls of dough, about 2 tablespoons each, onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Use the tines of a fork to press a crisscross pattern across the tops, flattening them to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Drop 1/2-1 teaspoon of your favorite jelly or jam in the middle of each cookie.
- Bake 6-8 minutes. Do not over-bake! The cookies will still be extremely soft and just barely brown on the bottoms. Leave them on the baking sheet, and they will harden as they cool.
Because a friend of mine loves ginger, I took Dorie Greenspan’s recipe for buttery jam cookies and doubled the amount of ground ginger. Just for good measure, I also added bits of crystallized ginger to it. The cookies turned out to have good structural integrity.
Jam Ginger Cookies
Adapted from Dorie Greenspan’s Baking: From My Home to Yours
Yield: 36 gluten-free cookies
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons jam of your choice (apricot, peach, marmalade…)
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, cut into bits (optional)
- Position racks to divide oven into thirds. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat butter on medium speed until creamy and smooth.
- Add sugar and beat for a minute.
- Add egg and beat for 2 minutes. The mixture will be satiny.
- Add milk and vanilla and beat just to combine. The mixture might look curdled at this point, but that’s okay. It will even out shortly.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, add jam, and beat for 1 minute.
- Still on low speed, beat in baking powder, ginger, and salt.
- Beat in flour on low speed. The dough will be very thick.
- Stir in crystallized ginger, if using.
- Spoon the dough by rounded teaspoons onto the baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch between cookies.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating the pans from top to bottom and front to back halfway through. The cookies will be only just firm, fairly pale, and browned around the edges.
- Remove baking sheets from oven and let cookies rest on them for 1 minute.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool to room temperature.