This is a nice light (in terms of texture anyway) and fluffy dessert. It’s also great for using up any extra egg whites you have.
Adapted from Allrecipes
Yield: 9″ pavlova
4 egg whites
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons tapioca starch OR cornstarch
2 cups heavy cream
Fresh fruit (6 sliced kiwis, mixed berries, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 300ºF. Get a piece of parchment paper large enough to line a baking sheet and draw a circle 9″ in diameter it. Flip the parchment paper over and place in the baking sheet.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Add sugar gradually while continuing to beat.
- When egg whites are stiff and glossy, fold in vanilla extract, lemon juice, and tapioca starch OR cornstarch.
- Spoon the egg white mixture into the circle on the parchment paper. Smooth the mixture from the center out to the edge of the circle so that the center is slightly depressed.
- Bake for 1 hour. Cool the meringue completely.
- Beat heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks. Spread it on the meringue in the depression. Put fresh fruit on top.