Another recipe from one of my friends, this time for gluten-free speculoos. These are spiced shortbread cookies – perfect for cold weather!
For cookie dough:
- 140 g brown rice flour
- 70 g cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons speculoos spice (see below)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 250 g brown sugar
- 4 1/2 tablespoons (62.5 g) softened butter
- 1/8-1/4 cup water (add gradually)
For speculoos spice (store the extra in an airtight container for later):
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Stir together spices for the spice mix.
- In a mixing bowl, combine brown rice flour, cornstarch, speculoos spice, and baking soda.
- In large mixing bowl, beat together butter and brown sugar.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture and mix well, until it looks a bit like sand.
- Slowly add water and mix with your hands until it takes on a playdough-like consistency.
- Mold into a ball and put in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out to a little under 1/4-inch thick and cut into shapes using your favorite cookie cutters or cookie molds.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 10 minutes (less if you want soft cookies, more if you want super crunchy ones).