I know basil ice cream sounds really weird, but it’s delicious, especially with strawberries. If you can find fresh basil, give it a try!
No-Churn Basil Ice Cream
Yield: 6 cups ice cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup packed basil leaves, torn into pieces (about 2 oz)
- 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch fine salt
- Chill a 9″ x 5″ metal loaf pan.
- Pour heavy cream into a small pot and bring just to a simmer over medium-low to medium heat.
- Remove from heat, stir in basil, and let stand, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, then strain out basil leaves.
- Whisk together the condensed milk, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whip the cream with a mixer on medium-high speed until firm peaks form, about 2 minutes.
- Fold about 1 cup of the whipped cream into the condensed milk mixture with a rubber spatula until combined, then fold the lightened mixture into the whipped cream until well blended.
- Pour into metal loaf pan and freeze, covered, until solid and scoopable, about 5 hours. Serve either alone or with strawberries.