It’s a little hard to describe how peach-yogurt semifreddo tastes, but it’s kind of like a cross between ice cream and whipped cream, with a delicious tang coming from the yogurt, lemon juice, and peaches. It’s pretty and elegant and a great way to use up substandard peaches.
Adapted from Epicurious
Yield: Serves 6
- 2 ripe peaches, unpeeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 + 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (non-fat is fine)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (preferably fresh, but from concentrate is fine)
- Line 8”x4″ loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving a generous overhang on all sides.
- Cook peaches and 1/4 cup sugar in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until peaches are softened and sugar is dissolved and bubbling a little, about 5 minutes. (You can use a small non-stick pot too, but then you might need to increase the time to 10 minutes.)
- Transfer to a blender and purée until smooth. Pour into a shallow dish and let cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg whites, salt, and remaining 3/4 cup sugar in a medium heatproof bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer) set over a saucepan of simmering water (do not let bowl touch water). Cook, whisking constantly, until sugar is dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch, 2–4 minutes. Remove bowl from saucepan.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg mixture until tripled in volume, and glossy and sticky, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk yogurt and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Gently stir in a large dollop of the egg whites to lighten the mixture. Then, using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the rest of the egg whites in 2-3 additions. Fold just until combined.
- Transfer half of the yogurt mixture to prepared pan; smooth surface.
- Swirl half of the peach mixture into yogurt layer with a spoon, then repeat with remaining yogurt and peach mixtures.
- Fold plastic wrap overhang over top to seal and freeze until firm, at least 8 hours. Semifreddo can be frozen for up to 3 days.
- Unwrap semifreddo and, using plastic overhang, gently lift from pan. Invert semifreddo onto a cutting board, remove plastic wrap, and let sit at least 10 minutes to soften. Slice, transfer to plates, and serve.