My friend made these chocolate cupcakes with mint frosting. She said the cupcakes have a good, fluffy texture, definitely something to be celebrated in a gluten-free dessert! The cheerful colors also feel very appropriate for spring and Easter.
Yield: 14-18 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 15 g cornstarch
- 20 g potato starch
- 60 g brown rice flour
- 42 g cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 200 g sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/3 cup (68 g) vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (131 g) milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons (10 g) vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 – 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla OR mint extract
- Pinch of salt
- Green food coloring (optional)
- Sprinkles (optional)
Make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 14-18 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- Stir in all the wet ingredients until well mixed.
- Divide evenly among 14-18 muffin cups. You don’t want to fill more than halfway, because the cupcakes will puff up a lot.
- Bake about 20 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
Make the frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, cream the butter.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add heavy cream, vanilla OR mint extract, salt, and food coloring (if using). Beat until smooth.
- Spoon frosting over cupcakes and top with sprinkles, if desired.
- Let frosting set before eating.