These are tasty and lemony, simple to make, and somewhat reminiscent of creme brulee. Also, they require no modifications to be gluten free!
Lemon Cup Custard
Adapted from Dorie Greenspan’s Baking: From My Home to Yours
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- Stir together milk and zest in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 30 minutes.
- Reheat slowly.
- Place rack in center of oven, and preheat to 325°F. Line roasting pan with 2 layers of paper towels. Place 4-6 custard or coffee cups in pan.
- Whisk together eggs and sugar until well blended.
- Whisk 1/4 cup hot milk slowly into egg mixture.
- Continue to whisk, and strain in remaining milk; skim foam from surface.
- Stir in lemon extract, if desired.
- Pour custard into cups.
- Put pan on oven rack, and fill pan with hot water halfway up side of cups.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until centers jiggle only slightly when tapped.
- Transfer cups to wire rack, and let cool to room temperature.
- Cover and chill 2 hours or up to 2 days.