A friend baked this beautiful chocolate cake for a Winter Wonderland party, so of course I got the recipe from her.
Some notes on the decorations:
- The icing is made from butter, powdered sugar, and milk
- The cake is dusted with blue sugar
- The snowflakes are made from royal icing
Adapted from Add a Pinch
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup flavorless oil (such as canola)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare two 9-inch cake pans by spraying with baking spray or buttering and lightly flouring.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter until well combined.
- Distribute cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center of the chocolate cake comes out clean. (Actually, my friend ended up tripling the baking time.)
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely.
- Frost and decorate as desired.