I decided to experiment with xanthan gum, and I discovered that it does do wonders for structural integrity – these chocolate chip cookies were actually lightly domed! However, they would still taste fine without it, so I consider it optional. Pair these cookies with ice cream if you feel really decadent.
Big Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from All Recipes
Yield: 40 cookies
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup white OR brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the melted butter and sugar until creamy.
- Beat in vanilla and eggs until light and creamy.
- Beat in baking soda, salt, and xanthan gum if using.
- Mix in flour.
- Stir in chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon.
- Drop cookie dough 1 tablespoon at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be 2-3 inches apart.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until the edges are lightly toasted and tops are golden.
- Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.