Almond jelly is a popular Chinese dessert that is cool and refreshing, especially after a big meal or on a hot summer day. This is a family recipe from my dad. If you’re allergic to almonds or just don’t like the taste, feel free to substitute vanilla for almond extract.
Almond Jelly (Xingren Doufu)
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond extract OR vanilla extract
- 1 (15-oz) can fruit (such as peach or fruit cocktail) in heavy syrup
- Put water in a pot over medium heat. Slowly pour in gelatin while stirring constantly and breaking up any clumps.
- Keep stirring while bringing water to a boil.
- Stir in milk, sugar, and almond OR vanilla extract.
- Pour into an 8″ x 8″ pan and cool. Cover and refrigerate until set.
- Cut jelly into 1-2″ cubes and spoon into serving bowls. Top with canned fruit and its syrup.