This is a tender cookie studded with raisins or cranberries (or even chocolate chips if you prefer). They spread out more when gluten free, as expected, but not unreasonably so.
Sour Cream Cookies
Adapted from All Recipes
Yield: 24 cookies
- 1/2 cup shortening OR butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar, depending on how sweet you want them
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups gluten-free OR all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups raisins OR cranberries OR chocolate chips
- 2 cups chopped pecans (optional)
- In a medium bowl, cream together shortening OR butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Mix in salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Mix in flour.
- Stir in raisins OR cranberries OR chocolate chips, and pecans if using.
- Cover dough and refrigerate for 1/2 hour. (This step is less important if you’re using gluten-free flour, so I usually skip it.)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease cookie sheet.
- Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheet. Space cookies 1-2 inches apart, using the larger distance if gluten free.
- Bake 15-20 minutes.