My best friend gave me this recipe years ago, and it’s still my favorite coffee cake. If you have overripe bananas, here’s your chance to turn them into a delicious dessert! The recipe works well gluten free because the bananas help hold everything together and keep the cake moist.
Banana Coffee Cake
Yield: 9 ” x 13 ” cake
For the cake:
- 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4-1/2 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2-3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free OR all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For the topping:
- 1 cup chocolate chips OR chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 9″ x 13″ x 2″ baking pan with aluminum foil and grease it.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, and sugar until blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla extract, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Stir in bananas.
- Gradually stir in flour.
- Combine topping ingredients and stir half into batter.
- Transfer batter to pan and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle with remaining topping.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.