Since it’s the fall, here is one more pumpkin recipe, this time with apples. The pumpkin and the apples help to hold the batter together, so these muffins work well gluten free.
Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins
Adapted from All Recipes
Yield: 18-20 muffins
For the muffins:
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free OR all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
For the streusel topping:
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free OR all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease 18 muffin cups or use paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs, pumpkin, and oil.
- Mix in 2 cups sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix in 2 1/2 cups flour, stirring just to moisten. (If you’re using gluten-free flour, you don’t need to worry about over-mixing.)
- Fold in apples.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. (Depending on how full you fill the cups, you might end up with 20 muffins.)
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over muffin batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes if gluten-free, 35-40 minutes if not. A toothpick inserted into a muffin should come out clean.