Even gluten free, this recipe makes a nicely domed, moist loaf of pumpkin gingerbread. If you like, you can increase the spices. Once I doubled all of them by accident and the loaf still turned out delicious, even if you couldn’t really taste the pumpkin anymore.
Adapted from All Recipes
Yield: Two 9″ x 5″ loaf pans
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease two 9″ x 5″ loaf pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar, oil, and eggs until smooth.
- Add water and beat until well blended.
- Beat in pumpkin, ginger, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Beat in baking soda, salt, and baking powder.
- Beat in flour. If using normal flour, beat, just until combined.
- Divide batter between pans.
- Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes if using gluten-free flour, or 1 hour if using normal flour. A thin knife inserted near the center should come out clean.