Chocolate and cream cheese lovers, this one is for you! They’re basically chocolate cupcakes with a big dollop of chocolate chip-studded cream cheese in the middle. The gluten-free ones turn out flatter than the ones with gluten, as you might expect, but they still taste good, which is what matters!
Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes
Adapted from All Recipes
Yield: 24 cupcakes
For cream cheese mixture:
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
For chocolate cupcake base:
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free OR all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar OR rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line muffin tins with paper cups or lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, egg, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Make a well in the center and add the water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Stir together until well blended.
- Fill muffin tins 1/3 full with the batter and top with a dollop of the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes if using gluten-free flour, or for 25-30 minutes if using normal flour.