Now that strawberries are in season again, it’s time for strawberry pie! I love this recipe from my friends, because it reminds me of strawberry pie from Polly’s Pies.
Adapted from a recipe from friends, pie shell adapted from Betty Crocker
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons tapioca starch OR cornstarch
2 tablespoons agave nectar OR light corn syrup
1 cup water
3 tablespoons strawberry-flavored gelatin
1 quart (a little over 2 lbs) fresh strawberries, hulled
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon butter OR shortening
1 cup gluten-free flour OR all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-3 tablespoons cold water
Make pie shell:
- Preheat oven to 475ºF.
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl. Cut butter OR shortening into the mixture until pieces are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle in water while tossing with fork to moisten the flour.
- Gather the pastry into a ball and place on well-floured surface. You can try rolling it out, but the dough will be fairly crumbly. I usually flatten it somewhat with my palms and then press it into the pie tin.
- Prick bottom and sides with fork. Bake for 10 min. Cool while you make the filling.
- Combine sugar, tapioca starch OR cornstarch, agave nectar OR corn syrup, and water in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Cook mixture, stirring constantly, until clear and thickened.
- Add gelatin, stirring until dissolved. Cool mixture.
- Arrange strawberries in the baked pie shell. Pour gelatin mix over strawberries. Chill until firm.