This frosting is light and fluffy, and you can add food coloring to make it your or your friends’ favorite colors! I recommend using a stand mixer instead of a hand mixer so you don’t have to hover over the bowl for 10 long minutes. (Unless you’re trying to build your arm muscles.)
Fluffy Egg-White Frosting
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
Food coloring, if desired
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Stir together sugar, water, and cream of tartar in a saucepan.
- Cook mixture over medium-high heat. Stir to dissolve all the sugar. Cook until you see little bubbles on the surface.
- Beat egg whites together with vanilla for a few seconds.
- While beating, slowly add the sugar mixture to the egg whites. Add food coloring if desired.
- Continue to beat for 7-10 minutes until the frosting forms stiff peaks.