It’s still ridiculously hot here! This weather calls for more ice cream desserts. I thought the ice cream pie turned out even better than the ice cream cake. It even keeps very well in the freezer if you can’t finish it the day you make it. The original recipe uses pecans, but if you’re allergic to nuts, gluten-free or normal flour work equally well.
Coconut Crust Ice Cream Pie
Adapted from The Little Pie Company’s Pies and Other Dessert Favorites
2 cups packaged sweetened flaked coconut, chilled
1/4 cup gluten-free flour OR finely chopped pecans OR normal flour
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
About 3/4 quart ice cream of your choice (chocolate works very well)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. In a mixing bowl, stir together the chilled coconut flakes and gluten-free flour OR finely chopped pecans OR normal flour.
3. Pour in melted butter and mix together by hand.
4. Press mixture into a pie plate, starting from the edges of the plate. Try to make sure that the top edge of the crust does not extend over the rim of the pie plate, and the crust edge is level and compact (to avoid burning). The crust should be about 1/8 inch thick.
5. Bake pie shell for 25 minutes, until golden brown.
6. Cool completely (you can put it in the refrigerator to speed it up) and fill with ice cream.