One of my friends loves fresh whipped cream, so I decided to make pound cake as a whipped cream delivery mechanism. It’s a conveniently robust recipe – if you don’t have lemon peel, you can substitute grated orange peel or even 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. I was out of milk as well, so I mixed together 1/8 cup heavy cream and 1/8 cup water, and it worked fine.
Lemon Pound Cake
Recipe adapted from The Little Pie Company’s Pies and Other Dessert Favorites
1 3/4 cup gluten-free flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/4 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 9x5x3″ metal loaf pan.
2. Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and lemon peel.
4. Beat in baking powder and salt, followed by flour.
5. Beat in milk.
6. Pour batter in pan, smooth top, and bake for 55-60 min.
7. If using pound cake as a delivery device for whipped cream, beat together 1 cup heavy cream and 1 tablespoon sugar.