It’s well past Chinese New Year, but a simple, tasty, and (best of all) naturally gluten-free recipe is always appreciated! If you’re interested, you can read more about nian gao here:
Baked Chinese New Year Cake (Nian Gao)
Recipe from my mom
- 1 lb sticky rice flour (I like to use a Thai brand, Erawan)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter (or margarine), softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9″x 9″ baking pan.
2. Beat the butter until creamy, then beat in the other ingredients. The batter will be runny, and it’s fine if there are little pieces of butter floating in it.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 50-60 min until the top is golden brown. When done, the cake will be sort of jiggly and (what else?) sticky.